Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Off-Campus Properties

If a name is italicized, the property is no longer in the university’s possession.

Agricultural Research and Experiment Centers (ARECs)-About 3,900 acres of land at 12 agricultural research stations and laboratories throughout the state are used for agricultural, forestry, seafood, and aquaculture research. Some of the land is leased; the remainder is owned by the university. These stations, the number of acres owned, the year operations began, and the location of each are Hampton Roads AREC, 70 acres, 1920, Virginia Beach; Middleburg AREC, 420 acres, 1949, Middleburg; Northern Piedmont, 43.18 acres, 1940, Orange; Eastern Shore AREC, 226 acres, 1913 (moved to current location in 1956), Painter; Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC, 134 acres, 1921, Winchester; Shenandoah Valley AREC, 634 acres,  1954,  Steeles Tavern (includes the Cyrus McCormick Farm); Tidewater AREC, 325 acres, 1914, Holland; Southwest Virginia AREC, 208 acres, 1929, Glade Spring; Eastern Virginia AREC, 54 acres, 1912, Warsaw (started in Williamsburg; moved to current location in 1950); Southern Piedmont AREC, 1,184.16 acres (efforts under way to increase acreage to a total of 3,829 acres), 1906 (two experiment stations in Chatham and one in Charlotte Court House consolidated in 1972 to form this AREC), Blackstone; Virginia Seafood AREC, 1 acre, 1975, Hampton; and Reynolds Homestead Forest Resources Research Center, 710 acres, 1969, Critz (site includes the Reynolds Homestead. The Southwest Virginia Aquaculture Research and Experiment Center, which opened in 2000 in Saltville was closed as an AREC in the winter 2009-2010 and is now used as a department research laboratory.

Cyrus McCormick Farm-In 1954 the heirs of Cyrus McCormick gave the college the 634-acre farm Walnut Grove, where McCormick had demonstrated his first successful reaper. The property, located between Steele’s Tavern and Raphine in Rockbridge County, was used to establish the Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research and Extension Center, dedicated in 1958. A five-acre memorial plot, which is a designated National Historic Landmark, includes a museum converted from a blacksmith shop, a gristmill, and a manor house that are open to visitors.

Reynolds Homestead-In 1969 Nancy Susan Reynolds donated the Reynolds Homestead, birthplace and boyhood home of tobacco manufacturer R.J. Reynolds, to the university, followed in 1980 by an additional gift of land. Total acreage: 723.99 acres. The site includes a two-story brick home, known as the Rock Spring Plantation House, which was built in 1843 and is a historic landmark; several outbuilding, family and slave cemeteries, a continuing education center, and the Reynolds Homestead Forest Resources Research Center. In 2007, the Virginia Tech Foundation purchased an additional 32.40 acres; cost $107,500; followed in 2008 by the purchase of 28.07 acres; cost $149,500, both purchases for use in forestry research. The plantation home is open to the public.

American Workhorse Museum-Donated to the university in 1994 by Henry L. and Mary L. Burkardt, this facility in Paeoniam Springs is a collection of agricultural equipment related to farming with horses. Transferred to the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington in 2000.

Anaerobe Laboratory-Constructed 1970; 22,895 gross sq. ft.; cost $904,000. Located off Prices Fork Road.

College Farm Operation-Formed in 1990. Six tracts of land, including Whitethorne Farm, totaling 3,200 acres in Blacksburg area. Crops produced on 1,937 acres used to support livestock in research and teaching programs. Field plot and livestock grazing research conducted on 400 acres. Additional 660 acres devoted to wildlife, forestry, conservation management, demonstrations, and other educational activities. See Whitethorne Farm.

Corporate Research Center- Development started in 1985 to attract industrial research and development operations to locate in the park and interact with university research programs. Located south of the main campus and adjacent to the Virginia Tech/Montgomery Executive Airport. Dedicated September 25, 1987. Contains more than 140 firms with 2,000 employees and 772,736 sq. ft. of building space spread among 23 structures. Buildings are

  • Andrews Information Systems Building, completed 1989; 50,979 sq. ft.; cost; $5,752,533; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Brooks Forest Products Center, completed 1976; 35,000 sq. ft. (located at site before development of CRC)
  • Founders Research Building, completed 1988; 17,141 sq. ft.; cost $1,918,708; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Garvin Innovation Center, completed 1992; 32,798 sq. ft.; cost $2,851,996; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • ICTAS-A Building, completed 2007; 33,766 sq. ft.; cost $6,513,369; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • ILSB Building, completed 2008; 77,000 sq. ft.; cost $20,750,000; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Moss Research Building, completed 1988; 19,115 sq. ft.; cost $1,752,352; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • National Weather Service Building, completed 1995; 5,560 sq. ft.
  • Research Building 2, completed 1989; 19,068 sq. ft.
  • Research Building 7, completed 1995; 37,775 sq. ft.; cost $3,255,652; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Research Building 8, completed 1996; 26,701 sq. ft.
  • Research Building 10, completed 1997; 39,953 sq. ft.
  • Research Building 12, completed 1999; 48,387 sq. ft.
  • Research Building 14, completed 2002; 37,500 sq. ft.; cost $3,817,140; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Research Building 15, completed 2001; 52,842 sq. ft.; cost $5,997,173; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • Research Building 16, completed 2002; 45,746 sq. ft.; cost $4,998,087; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • TechLab Building, completed 2004; 35,000 sq. ft.
  • Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, completed 2003; 60,000 sq. ft.
  • VT KnowledgeWorks I, completed 2005; 45,000 sq. ft.; cost $3,410,650; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • VT KnowledgeWorks II, completed 2006; 39,963 sq. ft.; cost $5,490,706; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • VTLS Building, completed 1998; 32,000 sq.- t.
  • Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, completed 1999; 29, 213 sq. ft.; cost $3,410,650; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • VTTI Warehouse, completed 2003; 7,200 sq. ft.; cost $390,120; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation
  • VTTI-II – NSTSCE, completed 2006; 22,029 sq. ft.; cost $2,915,954; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation

Cyrus McCormick Farm-See under Agricultural Research and Experiment Centers.

Fries, Va., Textile Mill-Donated by Robert Pamplin with the understanding that it would be sold and proceeds used to support the Pamplin College of Business. The mill and milldam, which made the generation of electricity possible, was sold around 1990 to a company that buys small generation plants and sells the electricity to large utilities.

Gallery-Located in Alexandria, Va. Purchased in 1988 by Virginia Tech Foundation; 21,740 sq. ft.; cost $1,590,348. Used for student housing. See Prince Street School Building; Rectory; Prince Street II.

Geology Summer Field Camp-Located in Saltville, Va. Donated by Olin Corporation in 1950s. In 1972 the corporation also donated a 60-acre track adjacent to the camp that was never developed. Used by Department of Geological Sciences for summer study by students until 1990, when budget cuts forced discontinuance of the camp for geological studies. The camp remains in university ownership.

Hampton Seafood Laboratory-Purchased by Virginia Tech Foundation in 1983; 10,000 sq. ft.; cost $145,000. Used as Agricultural Research and Experiment Center.

Heth Property-Acquired 2001 when Heth family sold and gifted 326 acres of property worth approximately $15.2 million to the university. Located adjacent to Virginia Tech. Most of property intended for eventual use and growth of the university. Some property currently used by Biological Sciences for stream restoration research on Stroubles Creek; other parts of property have been used by College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.

Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, The-See The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center.

Horton, Miles C.  Sr. Center-Located on Salt Pond Mountain in Giles County. Donated to the Virginia Tech Foundation in pieces in 1976 and 1977 by Miles C. and Ruth Horton. Horton donated funds to build an observatory on the site, 1990. Operated by the Research Division. Sold to Mary Moody Northen Endowment in 2004. University has an agreement with the endowment to use the observatory, air/water lab, and chestnut tree grove at the center until Aug. 31, 2104.

Kentland Farm and Historic District-Acquired in 1985 as part of Whitethorne Farm (see below); 350-acre area that includes an antebellum manor house, hexagonal brick smoke house, overseer’s house, 19th century grist mill, Kent-Cowan cemetery, and slave cemetery. Recognized by Virginia Board of Historic Resources and placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1991. Includes Kentland Manor, constructed 1834-35, a two-story, five-bay, Flemish-bond brick home with Federal and Greek Revival detailing. Historic district includes five Native American utilization areas dating to Late Woodland period (AD 800-1600). Revitalization project commenced 2003 to preserve and develop the historic district.

Marion DuPont Scott Equine Medical Center-Constructed in 1981 in Leesburg and operated by Virginia Tech’s Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. Funding for the facility, which provides diagnostic and treatment services and on-site training for equine veterinary medicine and surgery students, came from Marion duPont Scott and the Virginia Tech Foundation. The Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation provided the 198-acre site for the center. New barn dedicated April 17, 2009; named for Paul R. Fout, a horse breeder and trainer.  Founding director of equine center was Dr. G. Frederick Fregin.

Martin Observatory-A roll-roof observatory containing a 14-inch telescope located at the Miles C. Horton Sr. Center (see above) that the university can use until 2104. Equipped with CCD camera and CFW-8A filter wheel; computer-controlled system; focus achieved using Optec TCF-S; Ash-Dome controlled with system manufactured by Meridian Controls Corporation. Observatory constructed by Horton Foundation.

McCormick Farm- See under Agricultural Research and Experiment Centers.f

Moore Farm-Approximately 246.90 acres. Located off Price’s Fork Road. Acquired in 1950 from Alma Flanagan Moore and Lawrence W. Moore. Consists of observatory, several houses, several barns and sheds, and other buildings. Astronomy-teaching observatory constructed 1974; 410 sq. ft. Contains a 16 1/2 ft. dome and 12 1/2 inch, electronically controlled Newtonian telescope.

Observatory-See Moore Farm; see Miles C. Horton Sr. Center.

Northern Virginia Center-Constructed in 1996 as a joint venture with the University of Virginia. Opened Jan. 13, 1997. Located on Haycock Road in Falls Church; 101,154-sq-ft.; cost $16.65 million (Tech paid $9.9 million). Houses graduate programs for both universities; first undergraduate courses offered 2008. First director: Judy C. Pearson. From 1981-1997, Tech shared a rented facility with UVa. on Telestar Court in Falls Church.

Prince Street School Building-Located in Alexandria, Va. Purchased by Virginia Tech Foundation in 1989; 21,579 sq. ft.; cost $3.3 million. Used for offices and classes See also Gallery; Rectory; Prince Street II.

Prince Street II-Located in Alexandria, Va. Purchased by Virginia Tech Foundation in 2002; 17,605 sq. ft.; cost $3.8 million. Used for offices and classes.

Rectory-Located in Alexandria, Va. Purchased by Virginia Tech Foundation in 1988; 2,310 sq. ft.; cost $216,866. Used for office space. See Prince Street School Building; Gallery.

Reynolds Homestead- See under Agricultural Research and Experiment Centers.

Smart Road-Research. Construction completed 2000; 2.2 miles; cost approximately $69 million. Completed in two projects. First included right of way, design, and construction of part of road, cost approximately $45 million. Second included remaining section of road and bridge, cost about $24 million ($15 million for bridge). A unique full-scale research facility for pavement research and evaluation of intelligent transportation system concepts. Will eventually become a 5.7-mile, four-lane, limited-access highway connecting Blacksburg to Interstate 81. Operated by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.

Stone Quarry-Acquired from Cupp family in 1975; 37.928 acres; cost $66,000; owned by Virginia Tech Foundation and leased/operated by university. Located in edge of Highland Park subdivision in Blacksburg town limits. Provides 80 percent of Hokie Stones used on new campus buildings. In operation since 1958. Upgraded with new facilities in 1993. Expanded from about 38 to about 48 acres with 2007 purchase of 10 acres by the Foundation; cost $100,000. Tech once had a stone quarry on campus (opened between 1899 and 1907) where Derring and Cowgill now stand. In 1953 that quarry was filled in.

The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center-Located in Roanoke, Va. Built by Norfolk and Western Railway in 1882 and opened on Christmas Day that year. Donated by Norfolk and Southern Railway in July 1989. The City of Roanoke, Renew Roanoke Foundation, and Virginia Tech raised $40.3 million to renovate the hotel and build an adjoining conference center (City of Roanoke came up with $13.8 million to add the conference center). Opened April 3, 1995, with grand opening and dedicated April 29, 1995. Includes 332 sleeping rooms and suites, 63,000 sq. ft. of meeting space, high-tech facilities, and one of largest ballrooms between Washington, D.C., and Atlanta, as well as other facilities. Extends university’s sites for continuing education and training programs and provides training ground for students in hospitality and tourism management program. Doubletree Hotels Corporation selected to manage the complex. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

University Research Park-In 1963 the university, through the VPI Educational Foundation, acquired 165 acres of land on U. S. 460 about one mile south of the campus to develop scientific and technical industries. At the time the university planned to develop an industrial research park. An aluminum ball-bearing plant of the Federal-Mogul Corp., first occupant of the Research Park, began operations in 1971. In 1985 the land was sold to the Town of Blacksburg for development as an industrial park, and the university directed its focus to the land now occupied by the Corporate Research Center.

Villa Maderni-Formerly called Casa Maderni. Located in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland. Constructed mid-18th century for Abbondio Bernasconi, a lawyer who served as king of the Republic of Riva San Vitale for 25 days before the republic was overthrown. Purchased by Virginia Tech Foundation in 1991 (purchase approved by BOV in 1989); 19,259-sq-ft. facility; cost $1.85 million. Houses Center for European Studies and Architecture, a university-wide study abroad program and the study abroad program operated by the College of Architecture and Urban Studies since 1968. Villa remodeling just after purchase cost $1.7 million. Additional renovations in 2003 and 2004 cost about $1 million. Facility includes 730-sq.-ft. architecture studio, library, one faculty office, nine student sleeping-rooms, one apartment, two administrative offices, one large classroom, one student room and computer lab, modern kitchen, dining room, laundry facility, bathroom facilities, and large parlor as well as columned main entry hall, courtyard, and garden typical of villas in the 1800s. Total property area is about 1.1 acres.

Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington-Construction began 2009; 144,999 sq. ft.; seven floors; cost $80 million. Will house major research center that focuses primarily on technology.

VTC-Constructed 2009-10; 153,000 sq. ft.; cost $59 million. Houses Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute (VTC). Located in Roanoke, Va.

VPI&SU Industry Center-TRW Inc., a Cleveland, Ohio, firm, donated its industrial hazardous testing center near Rocky Mount, Va., to the university in March 1967. In addition to several buildings, the facility included 1,050 acres of land astride the Black Water River. The industry center was operated by the university’s Research Division until it became part of the campus-based Industry Center in 1972. Operations at Rocky Mount phased out 1973; property sold 1974.

Whitethorne Farm-Acquired by the university in 1985 in a deed exchange between the university and Jay D. and Lorraine B. Nicewonder (N&M), a Virginia partnership, and The Buchanan Bottoms Land Company, a Virginia corporation. Includes 1,750 acres of land and several agriculture-related buildings, and the Kentland Farm and Historic District. In 1986 the Virginia Tech Foundation purchased an additional 95 acres; cost $187,000. University leases the land from the Foundation. Farmland used by College of Agriculture and Life Sciences for research. See Kentland above.

Return to the top