The following list of buildings includes all major buildings existing and formerly existing on the Blacksburg campus, with the exception of certain athletic facilities and campus features listed in the sections above. Buildings no longer existing are listed in italics. In addition to this listing, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences maintains numerous agriculture facilities, including, for example, barns, various centers, pens, sheds, and silos.
Academic Buildings-See First and Second Academic.
Academic Science Building-See Williams.
Administration-See Rock House and Burruss.
Advanced Communications and Information Technology Center (ACITC)-See Torgersen.
Aggie Annex-See Smyth.
Agnew-Academics. Completed 1940; 12,245 sq. ft.; cost of $42,525. Housed home economics main offices until 1968; now used by Biological Systems Engineering, Communication Network Services, and Entomology. Named in 1949 for Ella Graham Agnew, founder of home demonstration work in Virginia, nation's first woman field agent, and Extension agent employed by Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (today's Virginia Tech) 1914-19.
Agricultural Hall-See Price.
Agricultural Engineering Hall-See Seitz.
Agricultural Extension Building-See Sandy.
Alphin-Stuart Arena- Construction completed 2004; 49,260 sq. ft.; cost $3,424,000. Laboratory and animal quarters. Also known as Livestock Center.
Ambler Johnston- Residence hall; construction started 1967; partly occupied fall 1968; remainder 1969; 272,019 sq. ft.; cost $4,853,966. Dedicated Oct. 17, 1969. Houses 1,306 students. Named in 1968 for J. Ambler Johnston 1904, lifetime supporter of university, former president of Alumni Association, and a founder of Carneal and Johnston, architectural-engineering firm that designed many campus buildings.
Animal Husbandry Barn- Constructed 1955; 21,541 sq. ft. Also known as Livestock Center.
Animal Sciences-See Litton Reaves.
Architecture Annex-Academic. Constructed to be Blacksburg High School in 1916; 15,808 sq. ft.; cost $10,000. Purchased by university as part of three-building package totaling $310,000 at auction in 1965. Initially used as an architecture studio; now houses landscape architecture, urban affairs, urban and regional planning, and environmental design and planning programs of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies.
Art and Design Learning Center-Academic. Constructed 1931; 22,532 sq. ft. Located on Turner Street, Upper Quad. Used principally by Art and Art History.
Auditorium (Old Stone)-See Library, Old.
Barracks No. 1-See Lane Hall.
Barracks No. 3-See Brodie.
Barracks No. 4-See Shanks.
Barracks No. 7 –See Science Hall; see Shanks.
Barringer- Residence hall. Constructed 1962; 42,879 sq. ft.; cost $729,244. First occupied in fall 1962; dedicated May 16, 1966. Houses 220 students. Named in 1962 for Paul B. Barringer, president 1907-13.
Biochemistry and Nutrition-See Engel.
Bioinformatics Facility Phase 1-Constructed 2003; 58,285 sq. ft.; cost $21.2 million.
Bioinformatics Facility Phase 2- Constructed 2004; 71,560 sq. ft.; cost $20.4 million.
Bishop-Favrao-Academic. Constructed 2007; 31,651 sq. ft.; cost $9 million. Named for Richard Bishop ’67, founder of Columbia Builders, member of College of Architecture and Urban Studies Advisory Council and the Building Construction Advisory Board, and key alumni donor for the building, and William Favrao, founding member and organizer of the Associated Schools of Construction, founder of the university’s building construction program in 1947 and head of the department until his death in 1977, recipient of the William E. Wine Award, and member of the Academy of Teaching Excellence.
Brodie-Residence hall. Composed of old section (Barracks No. 3) and newer section built on site of Second Academic Building. Old section completed in September 1900; cost $17,500. Remodeled 1957-58; cost $165,476. New section completed in summer 1957; cost of $556,386. Contains 65,037 sq. ft. Houses 291 cadets. In 1990s, also housed dean of students office until 1998, when the office moved to Henderson Hall. Named for William M. Brodie, professor of mathematics and sometime commandant of cadets, 1901-32.
Brooks, Thomas M. Forest Products Center-Research. Dedicated in 1978. Located on Tech Center Drive, the center includes the William H. Sardo Jr. Pallet and Container Research Laboratory (7,200 sq. ft.; cost approx. $235,000; dedicated Oct. 1976); Wood Processing Laboratory; Wood Engineering Laboratory (constructed 1987); and Timber Harvesting Laboratory and its gas storage facility (added in 1987). Funds for the facilities came from substantial gift from Thomas M. Brooks, additional private funding, and state and federal support.
Brown-See Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown.
Bug House-See Horticulture.
Building 253-Completed 1921; cost of $25,000. Originally called Extension Apartment House. Remodeled 1963 for use as Women’s Auxiliary Dormitory, housing 34 women students. Turned over to ROTC department 1966-67 and later used by Information Services 1967-68; for Student Union offices 1967-69; and as offices for mathematics professors 1969 until destroyed by fire in spring 1971. University Bookstore now occupies the site.
Building 274-See The Grove.
Burchard- Academics. The university’s first completely underground building. Completed 1998; 42,143 sq. ft.; cost 8,446,000. Natural light provided by four glass pyramids constructed on Burruss Plaza. Named for Charles Burchard, founding dean of the College of Architecture and Urban Studies 1964-79.
Burruss- Administration. Consists of original building, completed June 1936; 77,080 sq. ft.; cost $428,404. West wing and rear addition built 1968; 60,503 sq. ft.; cost $1,536,899. East wing built 1970; 20,638 sq. ft.; cost $593,729. Now contains 158,221 sq. ft. Cornerstone of original building laid at 1935 commencement; first commencement held in 3,003-seat auditorium in June 1936. Electronic carillon, costing $28,000, installed in 1958; dedicated at Homecoming 1958. New elevators installed 1998. First and second floor renovated 2007, cost $3.1 million, to convert space for use by College of Architecture and Urban Studies. Originally known as Teaching and Administration Building. Named for Julian Ashby Burruss, eighth president 1919-45, in honor of his 25th year in office.
Campbell- Residence hall. Composed of two wings: west (or main) wing, originally known as Barracks No. 8, and east wing, originally known as Barracks No. 9. West (main) wing completed 1930; 34,734 sq. ft.; cost $167,000. East wing completed 1940; 31,769 sq. ft.; cost $143,000. Closed in fall 1966 for renovation; completed 1968; cost $665,451. Now contains 67,993 sq. ft. Two floors of main Campbell organized into second Honors house (see Hillcrest), 2005-06, reaching 94 students by 2006-07. Known as Stone Dormitory or Civilian Dormitory until 1952, when it was named for Theodorick Pryor Campbell, former professor of modern languages 1889-1928, Academic Department head 1904-1928, dean of the general faculty 1913-1920, and dean of the college 1920-1924.
Career Services-See Smith, Garnet E. and Patsy T. Career Services.
Carol M. Newman Library-See Newman, Carol M.
Cassell Coliseum-See under Athletic Facilities.
Center for the Arts at Virginia Tech-Groundbreaking on June 21, 2010; 130,000 sq. ft.; cost $89 million. Will include a 1,260-seat performance hall, visual arts galleries, and creative technology laboratory spaces.
Central Stores-Warehouse. Constructed 1963; 26,240 gross sq. ft.; cost $154,185. Located east of Lane Stadium off Southgate Drive.
Chapel, New-See War Memorial and Chapel.
Chapel, Old-See Library, Old.
Cheatham, Julian-Academics and administration, College of Natural Resources. Constructed 1971 to house forestry and wildlife sciences; 56.010 sq. ft.; cost $1.67 million. Dedicated May 5, 1972. Addition 2002; 9,237 sq. ft.; cost $2.1 million. Total area 65,247 sq. ft. Named for Julian N. Cheatham ‘33, executive vice president and a director of Georgia-Pacific Corp. and a university benefactor.
Chemistry-See Hahn-South Wing.
Chemistry-Physics Phase II-See Hahn –North Wing.
Civilian Dormitory-See Campbell.
Cochrane-Residence and dining. Constructed 1983; 89,238 sq. ft. West End Market dining hall added 1998; opened 1999; 8,124 sq. ft.; cost $3,269,048. Building originally called New Undergraduate Facility and principally housed athletes. Named in 1988 for family of James H. Cochrane Jr., a 1984 architecture graduate and university benefactor.
Commandant’s House-Constructed in 1875 to house Gen. James H. Lane, commandant of cadets. Served as commandant’s quarters until 1900, when offices for the president, commandant, secretary, and treasurer were set up in the house and its conversion into an administration building was authorized. House razed just before World War II.
Commencement Hall-Also known as Commerce Hall, German Hall, and Mess Hall at various times. Two-story brick building completed July 1894; cost $15,000. Located south of Pavilion near present junction of Main Street and northeast corner of Alumni Mall. First floor used as a mess hall and second floor for college exercises and entertainment. Enlarged in 1904-05 by addition in rear of building. Remodeled 1939 to house business administration and renamed Commerce Hall (not to be confused with a later Commerce Hall, now Pamplin Hall). Demolished 1957.
Commerce Hall-See Commencement Hall and Pamplin Hall.
Continuing Education Center-See Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown.
Cowgill-Academics and administration for College of Architecture and Urban Studies. Construction began 1966; completed 1969; 68,417 sq. ft.; cost $1,388,968. First major departure from traditional neo-Gothic architecture in academic buildings. Dedicated April 30, 1970. First building constructed expressly for architecture use. Underground addition (see Burchard) completed 1998; 42,000 sq. ft. Named in 1967 for Clinton R. Cowgill, founder of architecture studies and head of department of architectural engineering 1928-56.
Dairy Husbandry Building-See Saunders.
Davidson-Academics and laboratories. Three floors of front section and part of two-story middle section completed 1928; 43,201 sq. ft.; cost $170,000. Fourth floor front section and addition to middle section completed 1933; 17,756 sq. ft.; cost $60,000. three-story rear section completed 1938; 19,008 sq. ft.; cost $75,000. Renovated 1964; cost $282,209. Additional renovation 1965; cost $164,917. Now contains 79,965 sq. ft. Named for Robert James Davidson, professor 1891-1915; dean of scientific department 1903-13; and dean of Department of Applied Science 1913-15.
Derring-Academic. Construction began 1967; first phase completed 1969; 207,848 sq. ft.; cost $5,091,437. Dedicated Oct. 10, 1969. Named in 1967 for Paul N. Derring, YMCA secretary, director of religious activities, student activities building manager 1918-64.
Dietrick-Dining hall; construction began 1968; completed 1970; 92,907 sq. ft.; cost $2,,806,209. Dedicated May 8, 1970. HVAC replaced 1999; cost $2,946,526. Serving lines modified and refurbished, HVAC systems replaced 2004; cost $6.5 million. Capable of serving 3,000 at a single meal; contains four dining areas, snack shop, lounge area, central bake shop. Named in 1968 for Leander B. Dietrick, former teacher, extension director, and agriculture dean 1923-62.
Donaldson Brown- Graduate housing and administration. Consists of two sections. Newer section constructed 1965-68; 67,459 sq. ft.; cost $1,806,703. Older section constructed 1935; 38,965 sq. ft.; cost $178,721; known as Faculty Center; mainly used as faculty apartments and public dining room until closed spring 1965 for renovation into a wing of the Continuing Education Center. Combined sections first known as CEC, then as Donaldson Brown Center for Continuing Education, Donaldson Brown Hotel & Conference Center, and Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown. Newer section located on site of former reflecting pool (see Reflecting Pool under “Miscellaneous Campus Features”). Opened Jan. 2, 1968; dedicated May 13, 1968. Total area 106,424 sq. ft. A 1992 flood resulted in $4 million in damage, and facility then remodeled and updated. Further improvements followed in 1998 (58,892 sq. ft. renovated); cost $3,946,000. Remodeled for use as Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown in 2006; cost $3 million. Named for Frank Donaldson Brown 1902, former DuPont and General Motors executive and long-time benefactor of the university. He enrolled at the age of 13, and when he graduated with a B.S. in electrical engineering at age 17, he was the youngest student ever to receive a degree from Virginia Tech.
Donaldson Brown Hotel & Conference Center-See Donaldson Brown.
Durham- Academic. Construction completed 1997; 108,647 sq. ft.; cost $16,228,000 sq. ft. Opened for classes in spring 1998. Initially called New Engineering Building. Named in 2000 for Frederick Dewey Durham ’21, university supporter and co-founder of Dover Corp.
Dutch Barn-See Library (Old).
East Ambler Johnston-See Ambler Johnston.
East Campbell-See Campbell.
East Stone Dormitory Number 1-See Eggleston.
Eggleston-Residence hall and administration. Composed of three wings: east, main, and west. Main, originally known as East Stone Dormitory Number 1, completed 1935; 44,355 sq. ft.; cost $171,899. West completed 1940; 43,529 sq. ft.; cost $138,264. East completed 1940; 20,629 sq. ft.; cost $103,430. Renovation completed 1966, cost $741,564. Contains total of 108,513 sq. ft. First floor of east wing converted to office space 1982; all of east wing converted to office space, late 1980s; rest houses students. Named in 1952 for Joseph D. Eggleston, seventh president 1913-19.
Electric Service Facility-Service. Construction completed 2003; 30,715 sq. ft.; cost $3 million. Located on Country Club Drive.
Elementary School Building-See Media.
Engel-Academic. Constructed 1959-61; 45,737 gross sq. ft.; cost $1,181,944. Dedicated Nov. 3, 1961. Originally called Biochemistry and Nutrition Building. Named for Ruben W. Engel, founding head of Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition 1952-66; associate dean, School of Agriculture 1966-78; VPI on-site advisor to the Philippine National Nutrition Program 1968-78.
Engineering Building-See Norris.
Extension Building-See Sandy.
Faculty Center-See Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown.
Faculty Row-Houses for professors; six constructed 1893-94 along a lane in vicinity of today’s Pamplin Hall, Burruss Hall, and Norris Hall. Trees added along row of houses in spring 1900.
Femoyer-Academic. Completed 1949; 35,538 sq. ft.; cost $401,888. Originally constructed as residence hall; occupied fall 1949. Now houses various offices that serve students. Named in 1949 for 2/Lt. Robert E. Femoyer ’44, who received, posthumously, the Medal of Honor in World War II.
Field House-See Rector Field House under Athletic Facilities.
First Academic Building-Cornerstone of this two-story, 135 x 45-ft. brick building laid Aug. 12, 1875; cost $18,000; occupation commenced October 1876. Administrative offices were moved from Preston and Olin Building into First Academic Building 1876, remained until 1899. Other uses of the building included mess hall 1882-91, printing plant 1923-53, and various other departments from time to time. Razed 1957 to make way for new section of Rasche Hall.
Food Science and Technology-Academic. Formerly known as Meat Processing Laboratory. Completed 1952; 13,272 sq. ft.; cost $311,911. First addition completed 1965; 7,392 sq. ft.; cost $129,530. Second addition completed 1968; 25,014 sq. ft.; cost $784,323. Contains total of 45,678 sq. ft.
Fralin Biotechnology Center-Academic. Constructed 1995; 44,324 sq. ft.; cost $9 million. Named for Horace Grover Fralin ’48, co-founder of Fralin and Waldron in Roanoke, Va.; founding member, Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center; president, Virginia Tech Foundation; member, Virginia Tech Board of Visitors; recipient of 1992 William H. Ruffner Medal.
Free Stall Barn-Constructed 2004; 43,250 sq. ft.; cost $4.5 million (includes adjacent milking parlor constructed at the same time). Field building used by Dairy Science.
G. Burke Johnston Student Center-See Johnston, G. Burke Student Center.
German Hall-See Commencement Hall.
George Burke Johnston Student Center-See Johnston, George Burke Student Center.
Graduate Life Center-See Donaldson Brown.
Grove, The-See The Grove.
Gymnasium-See War Memorial Gymnasium under Athletic Facilities.
Hahn House- President’s home 1971-87. Constructed 1971 by T. Marshall Hahn Jr., president 1962-74, who wanted to live off-campus; 4,617 sq. ft. finished space. Colonial-style home on Rainbow Ridge in Highland Park section of Blacksburg. Donated to Virginia Tech Foundation by Georgia-Pacific Foundation in 1974 as a permanent residence for Virginia Tech presidents. Hahn’s successor, William E. Lavery, president 1975-87, next occupied the house, the last president to do so. Sold 1991. At the end of Lavery’s term, The Grove was remodeled and has been used by all succeeding presidents (see The Grove).
Hahn, Peggy Lee Garden Pavilion and Horticulture Garden-Special events and academic. Gardens first proposed in 1984 by horticulture department; have been enlarged over the years to encompass 5.75 acres; 5.5 acres currently developed. Included are a spectrum perennial border, bright perennial border, dwarf conifer display, trident maple alee, shade beds, small pond, wisteria arbor, xeriscape area, Jane Andrews Memorial Stream Garden, Matt Petrasy Memorial Gazebo, and Peggy Lee Hahn Garden Pavilion. Gazebo added 1998. Pavilion completed June 9, 2006; 2,377 sq. ft. Dedicated June 16, 2006. Named for Peggy Lee Hahn, wife of President-emeritus T. Marshall Hahn, president 1962-74, to recognize her love of gardening and her outstanding service as first lady. Money for construction and expansion of garden ($1.475 million) donated by President-emeritus Hahn.
Hahn-North Wing-Academic. Construction completed January 2004; 85,051 sq. ft.; cost $27,194,000. Initially known as Chemistry-Physics Building. Dedicated Oct. 16, 2009. Named in 2009 for T. Marshall Hahn Jr., president 1962-74.
Hahn-South Wing-Research. Phase I, known as Chemistry Phase I Research Laboratories, constructed 1988; 40,000 sq. ft.; cost $12.8 million. Chemistry-Physics Phase II constructed 2002; 31,106 sq. ft.; cost $22 million. Total area 71,106 sq. ft. Named in 1991 for T. Marshall Hahn Jr., president 1962-74.
Hancock, John W. Jr.-Academic. Constructed 1990; 63,075 sq. ft.; cost $9.1 million. Dedicated Oct. 1990. Renovation of section in 2002, cost $1.8 million, to provide two laboratories and gas handling area for materials engineering program. Named for John W. Hancock Jr., long-time Virginia Tech benefactor and president of John W. Hancock Jr. Inc.
Harper-Residence hall. Completed July 1999, 72,785 sq. ft.; cost $10 million. Dedicated Oct. 15, 1999. Named for Laura Jane Harper, first woman academic dean and founding dean of the School of Home Economics 1960-80, which evolved into today’s College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences.
Henderson-Academic. Original section constructed 1876 to serve as home for presidents. Enlarged 1902 and converted into infirmary. Other additions followed in 1929 and 1951. Original section cost $4,202; 1902 addition cost $8,298; 1929 addition cost $25,000; 1951 addition of 25,085 sq. ft. cost $425,936. Total area 40,540 sq. ft. Infirmary moved to McComas Hall 1998. Converted to offices for student affairs and placement services. Both moved out in 2000s; renovated 2007-08. Named for Dr. William F. Henderson, college physician 1890-1935.
High School Building-See Architecture Annex.
Hillcrest-Residence and administration; first residence built specifically to house women; accommodated 108 students. Occupied fall 1940 and promptly nicknamed “Skirt Barn” by male students. Closed 1970. With completion in 1971 of addition, converted for use as male athletic residence hall; housed 130 scholarship athletes. Original section 29,413 sq. ft.; cost $124,313. Addition 18,355 sq. ft.; cost $667,065. Total area 47,768 sq. ft. Converted to graduate housing facility in 1982 and to house University Honors in 1992-93. First floor renovated, 1993-94; first eight Honors students moved in. All of Hillcrest’s 108 spaces assigned to Honors students, and Hillcrest became first Honors house, 2000-01. See Campbell.
Holden-Academics. Completed 1940; 42,130 sq. ft.; cost $157,239. Auditorium and basement area from Norris Hall transferred to Holden in 2007. Total area 46,800 sq. ft. Originally known as Mineral Industries Building. Named in 1949 for Roy J. Holden, geology department head 1905-45.
Holtzman Alumni Center-Constructed 2005; 29,203 sq. ft. Part of a complex that includes The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center; complex cost $43,118,000; alumni center was approx. $10 million of that figure. Named for William Holtzman ’59, president and founder of Holtzman Oil Corp. and generous supporter of the center.
Home Economics Building-See Agnew.
Home Management House-See Wallace Annex.
Horticulture-Built in 1888-89 as an Agricultural Experiment Station and dubbed the “Bug House” by cadets. Occupied by experiment station, 1890-1907; known as Horticultural Hall 1907- 14; occupied by Agricultural Extension Division 1914-24; used by academic departments 1924-33; used by women students for various purposes 1933-35. Sat on a site slightly southwest of present day Burruss Hall. Razed January 1936 to make way for approaches to Burruss Hall.
Hutcheson-Academic and agricultural administration. Completed 1940; 39,280 sq. ft.; cost $206,000. Addition constructed 1950; 11,357 sq. ft.; total area 50,637 sq. ft. Dedicated July 31, 1957. Originally known as New Agricultural Hall. Named in 1956 for Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson 1906, agronomy department head 1914-45 and dean of agriculture 1946-50, and his brother, John Redd Hutcheson 1907, director of agricultural extension 1919-45, ninth president 1945-47, chancelor 1947-56, and president of the VPI Foundation 1948-62.
Inn at Virginia Tech-See The Inn at Virginia Tech.
Institute for Critical Technologies and Applied Science (ICTAS) II-Research and administration. Completed 2008; 99,411 sq. ft.; cost $45.99 million.
Johnson-Residence hall. Completed 1965; 35,960 sq. ft.; cost $544,603. First occupied winter 1966; dedicated May 16, 1966. Housed 185 male students 1966-70. Converted to house 180 female students in 1970. Named for J. S. A. Johnson 1898, faculty member 1900-31, assistant commandant and commandant of cadets 1898-1906, head of mechanical engineering 1918-31, and Engineering Experiment Station's first director 1920-31.
Johnston, G. Burke Student Center-Student activities. Constructed 1990; 24,556 sq. ft.; cost $2.9 million. Named for G. Burke Johnston, English faculty member 1930-33, dean of School of Applied Science and Business Administration 1950-61, dean of School of Science and General Studies 1961-63, first dean of College of Arts and Sciences 1963-65, and C. P. Miles Professor of English 1965-74. Second floor lounge named for William Addison “Add” Caldwell, first student to register in 1872; dedicated March 19, 1993.
Julian Cheatham-See Cheatham, Julian.
Lane-Administration. Originally known as Barracks No. 1. Completed October 1888; 26,520 sq. ft.; cost $20,000. Housed 130 students until converted to academic office use 1967, which ended 78 years of use as barracks. Named for Gen. James H. Lane, first commandant of cadets and professor of military tactics 1872-81.
Lane Stadium-See Athletic Facilities, above.
Latham, William C. and Elizabeth H. Agriculture and Natural Resources Building-Research. Constructed 2003-06; 84,277 sq. ft.; cost $24,791,000. Occupied June 2006; dedicated Sept. 22, 2006. Named for William C. ’55 and Elizabeth H. Latham, founders of Budget Motels Inc. William Latham served two terms on Virginia Tech Board of Visitors and on National Leadership Campaign Committee for university’s Alumni and Conference Center Campaign; filled leadership roles in two earlier Virginia Tech capital campaigns; served on Pamplin Advisory Council, Alumni Association Board, and Virginia Tech Foundation board; and received the 1996 Alumni Distinguished Service Award.
Lavery, William E. Animal Health Research Center-Group of approximately 65 laboratories located in Vet Med Phases II and IV. Dedicated May 12, 1995. Named for William E. Lavery, 12th president 1975-87. See Vet Med Phase 2 and Vet Med Phase 4.
Lee-Residence. Construction started 1965; completed 1966; 159,278 sq. ft.; cost included in $4.5 million bond issue for Lee, O’Shaughnessy, and Johnson. Dedicated May 30, 1968. Named for Claudius Lee 1896, electrical engineering faculty member 1896-1946.
Library (New)-See Newman, Carol M.
Library (Old)-Also known as Auditorium and Chapel. Completed May 1905; burned 1953 after being vacated. First building constructed on campus in neo-Gothic architectural style and covered with native limestone, which was used instead of brick as originally planned. Used as both a chapel and an auditorium, 1905-09; as an auditorium, dance hall, and gymnasium, 1909-14; as a library, 1914-1953. Nicknamed “Dutch Barn” 1904-14. Used for commencement ceremonies 1905. First intercollegiate basketball game played here Jan. 22, 1909, when VPI beat Emory & Henry 30-18. Used for all home basketball games 1909-14, when Field House was completed. Destroyed by fire in 1953 once emptied of books and vacated in preparation for construction of new library. Carol M. Newman Library now occupies the site (see Newman, Carol M.).
Library Storage Facility-Constructed in 1995; 16,304 sq. ft.; cost $2.1 million.
Life Sciences I-Constructed 2007; 71,799 sq. ft.; $37,750,000.
Litton-Reaves-Academic. Constructed 1981; 146,267 sq. ft.; cost $9.634 million. Originally known as Animal Sciences Building. Renamed Litton-Reaves Hall in March 1989 for George W. Litton and Paul M. Reaves, two former professors and leaders in the animal industry, each of whom served Virginia Tech for 40 years.
Livestock Center-See Alphin-Stuart Arena and Animal Husbandry Barn.
Major Williams-Departmental administration. Originally constructed as residence hall: composed of three sections built at different times: Barracks No. 5, Barracks No. 6, and a newer section joining Nos. 5 and 6. Section once known as Barracks No. 5 constructed 1904; cost $18,000. Barracks No. 6 constructed 1927; cost $106,267. No. 5 and No. 6 remodeled 1957-58; cost $226,191. Section joining No. 5 and No. 6 constructed 1957; cost $130,639. Rededicated Oct. 9, 1988. Another section constructed 1995; 10,614 sq. ft.; cost $6.2 (preliminary figure). Total area 75,287 sq. ft. Renovated and converted from residence hall to academic use 1995. Named for Marine Maj. Lloyd William Williams 1907, hero of World War I, to whom is attributed one of more famous statements of that war: “Retreat? Hell, no!”
McBryde (New)-Academic. Construction began 1970; major work completed 1971 (except auditorium); 132,244 sq. ft.; cost $3,933 072. Dedicated April 28, 1972. A 560-seat auditorium wing completed 1973; 9,090 sq. ft.; cost $565,765. Named for John M. McBryde, fifth president 1891-1907.
McBryde (Old)-Completed 1917; 58,776 sq. ft.; cost $127,596. First phase dedicated June 1914. First campus building constructed of native stone in the neo-Gothic style and native limestone (planned—brick planned for old library but native limestone used when brick unavailable). Razed 1966. Located on site of current McBryde Hall. Named for John M. McBryde, fifth president, 1891-1907.
McComas Student Health and Fitness Center-Student services. Completed September 1998; 118,225 sq. ft.; cost $21,632,420. Dedicated Oct. 23, 1998. Houses Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center, Charles W. Shiffert Health Center, and Department of Recreational Sports. Facilities include three gymnasium/volleyball courts, cardio/weight training area, swimming pool, aerobic studios, suspended running track, locker rooms, and vending and lounge area. Named for James D. McComas, president 1988-94.
Media-University Relations. Erected in 1934 as Blacksburg Elementary School; 12,618 sq. ft. Purchased 1965 at auction as part of three-building package that cost $310,000. Used by student organizations 1966-69 while Squires was being remodeled. Formerly known as Media Services Building.
Media Annex-University Relations, Environmental Design and Planning graduate student offices. Constructed 1921; 5,076 sq. ft.; cost $8,000. Built by Montgomery County School Board to house agriculture and shop programs for students from all parts of county. Purchased at auction by Virginia Tech in 1965 (see Media above) as part of three-building package that cost $300,000.
Memorial Chapel-See War Memorial Chapel.
Memorial Gymnasium-See under Athletic Facilities.
Miles-Residence hall. Completed 1964; 41,450 sq ft.; cost: $657,375. Dedicated May 16, 1966. Named in 1964 for C. P. “Sally” Miles 1901, chemistry instructor 1901-03, instructor and professor of foreign languages 1903-20 and 1935-56, director of athletics 1921-35, and dean of the college 1943-50.
Miles Stadium-See Athletic Facilities, above.
Military Building/Laundry-Constructed 1936; 28,991 sq. ft. Later addition, 7,342 sq. ft. Total area 36,333 sq. ft. Renovated 1998, cost $905,000, to house Virginia Power Electronics Center. Now houses Air Force and Army ROTC programs.
Mineral Industries Building-See Holden.
Mining and Minerals-Laboratory. Constructed 1979; 6,800 sq. ft.; Addition 1987; 3,312 sq. ft.; Addition 1998; 2,500 sq. ft. Total area 12,612 sq. ft.
Monteith-Residence hall. First occupied 1949; 35,960 sq. ft.; cost $405,530. Closed for renovation 1969-70; reopened fall 1970. Named in 1949 for 1/Lt. Jimmie Waters Monteith Jr. ‘41, who received the Medal of Honor posthumously for heroic actions in D-Day invasion, World War II.
Natural Science Building-See Smyth.
New Agricultural Hall-See Hutcheson.
New Engineering Building-See Durham.
New Hall West-Completed 2009; 92,800 sq. ft.; cost $31 million; residence hall plus offices for Student Programs administration, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Housing and Dining Services, Residence Life, Student Conduct, and Division of Student Affairs support services (Communications and Marketing, Human Resources, and Emergency Preparedness Planning
Newman-Residence hall. Completed 1964; 55,017 sq. ft.; cost $872,472. Dedicated May 16, 1966. Housed 292 men 1964-spring 1970. Converted to house 284 women fall 1970. Now houses male and female students. Named in 1964 for Walter Stephenson Newman, associate professor of vocational education 1922-25, vice president 1946-47, 10th president 1947-62, and president emeritus 1962-78.
Newman, Carol M., Library- Original construction 1955. 111,585 sq. ft.; cost $1,770,761 (Old Dominion Foundation, headed by Paul Mellon, donated $1 million in 1953 to go with another $1 million approved in 1952 by Virginia General Assembly). Opened Sept. 17, 1955; dedicated May 11, 1956. Renovation and six-story addition completed 1981 (bond referendum passed 1977, providing funding); 115,035-sq. ft.; cost $7.8 million. Total area 226,630 sq. ft. Lobby renovated 1999 to accommodate a coffee shop at a later date; cost $142,000, a class gift. Named for Carol M. Newman, professor and head of English department 1903-41.
New Residence Hall East- Constructed 1998. 63,195 sq. ft.; cost $8,403,000.
New Residence Hall West-See Peddrew-Yates.
New Undergraduate Facility-See Cochrane.
Norris-Academics and engineering administration. Formerly called the Engineering Building. Southwest wing completed 1960; 32,400 gross sq. ft.; cost $377,983. North wing completed summer 1962; 39,975 gross sq. ft.; cost $529,100; joins Holden Hall. Auditorium and basement area moved to Holden Hall 2007. Total area 67,705 sq. ft. Second floor, west wing was site of 30 faculty and student deaths at hands of a student gunman on April 16, 2007. Wing renovated fall 2008-March 2009 to house Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics and Center for Peace Studies and Violence Prevention offices and laboratories; cost approximately $1 million. Named in 1967 for Earle B. Norris, dean of engineering 1928-52 and director of Engineering Experiment Station 1932-52. New Hall West-Completed 2009; 92,800 sq. ft.; cost $31 million; residence hall plus offices for Student Programs administration, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Housing and Dining Services, Residence Life, Student Conduct, and Division of Student Affairs support services (Communications and Marketing, Human Resources, and Emergency Preparedness Planning).
Oak Lane Community- Residential living for Greek and non-Greek organizations. Three major construction periods: 1982-83, 1990, 2001. Phase I completed 1983; cost $2.9 million: Bldg. A, 8,560 sq. ft. Bldg. B, 8,437 sq. ft. Bldg. C, 8,547 sq. ft. Phase II completed 1990; cost $7 million: Bldg. D. 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. E, 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. F, 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. G, 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. H, 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. I, 9,300 sq. ft. Bldg. J, 9,300 sq. ft. Phase III completed 2001; cost $10.939 million: Bldg. KL, 19,149 sq. ft. Bldg. MN, 19,149 sq. ft. Bldg. OP, 19,149 sq. ft. Bldg. QR, 19,149 sq. ft. Originally known as Special Purpose Housing.
Old Aggie-See Price.
Old Security -Constructed 1903 as the Laundry; enlarged 1928-29. By 1932-33, students using facility for a cleaning and pressing shop; name changed to Cleaning; called Cleaning at least until 1964; called Bldg. 201; called Security by 1974,; changed to Old Security when the Police Department moved to larger quarters in the Sterrett Facilities Complex.
O’Shaughnessy -Residence. Construction started 1965; completed 1966; 69,211 sq. ft.; cost included in $4,500,000 bond issue for Lee, O’Shaughnessy, and Johnson residence halls. Dedicated May 30, 1968. Named for Louis O’Shaughnessy 1903, professor 1904-06 and 1918-54, head of applied mechanics 1932-48, acting dean of engineering 1927-28, and director of graduate studies 1936-49.
Owens -Dining hall; Constructed 1939; 97,668 sq. ft.; cost $358,212; seated 2,240. When completed, it covered the greatest area of any structure on campus. First used September 1939. Renovated extensively 1959; cost $160,000. Addition on side 1970. "D" room closed in 1987 for conversion to banquet facility. Renovated 1991. Hokie Grill opened 1991. Won Bronze Award from American School and University Magazine for outstanding interior design 1992. Named in 1952 for J. J. “Pop” Owens, mess steward 1917-40.
Pamplin -Academics and Pamplin College of Business administration. Completed 1957; 49,060 sq. ft.; cost $734,645. Known as Commerce Hall 1957-69; renamed Pamplin Hall May 1969. Renovation and addition completed 1988; 55,878 sq. ft.; cost $6.3 million. Total area 104,938 sq. ft. Dedicated October 1988. Named in honor of Robert B. Pamplin Sr. 1933, then president and board chairman of Georgia-Pacific Corp. and university benefactor, and his son, Robert B. Pamplin Jr., businessman, philanthropist, minister, author, and recipient of university’s only honorary bachelor’s degree. Both men received honorary Doctor of Letters for outstanding service to and financial support of Virginia Tech in 1987.
Patton -Academics, engineering administration, research. First story completed 1926. Three additional floors completed 1929. Total area 52,750 sq. ft.; cost $208,275. Named for William MacFarland Patton, head of civil engineering 1895-1905 and first dean of the Department of Engineering 1904-05.
Pavilion, The -Wooden 60 x 90-ft. structure completed summer 1879; razed March 1940. Was located near present junction of Main Street and northeast corner of Alumni Mall. Used as drill hall and commencement hall 1879-94, mess hall 1893-94, commencement hall and gymnasium 1895, gymnasium 1894-1914, auditorium and dance hall 1915-23, gymnasium 1923-26, auditorium and dance hall 1926-40.
Payne -Residence. Constructed 1993; 68,556 sq. ft.; cost $7.975 million. Named for Alfred C. “Al” Payne, associate secretary of YMCA 1946-49, YMCA secretary 1958-64, assistant to dean of students 1964-70, counselor of religious affairs 1970-81.
Peddrew-Yates-Residence. Constructed 1998; 63,195 sq. ft.; cost $8,403,000. Initially known as New Residence Hall West. Dedicated March 29, 2002. Renamed Peddrew-Yates Hall during dedication in honor of Irving L. Peddrew, first black student to attend Virginia Tech 1952-1955, and Charlie L. Yates, first black graduate, who earned a B.S. degree with honors in 1957; associate professor 1979-83; member, board of visitors 1983-87; associate professor 1987-2000.
Performing Arts Building-Academics. Construction started in 1900; 15,900 sq. ft.; cost $20,729. Two students thought during the 1894-1895 term that (then) V.P.I. should have a Young Men's Christian Association Building and they set about to make it happen. A effort to raise funds was started; about two years into the project, Mr. Lawrence Priddy became involved and from then on the project was almost entirely his responsibility. In a 1913 report on the history of the building, it was stated that, "without his tireless energy the work could not have gone on." Priddy worked to raise subscriptions and donations for the construction, so that, according to the report, "In the spring of 1899 the plans for the building were prepared by Mr. W. F. West, an architect of Richmond, Virginia, and were finally adopted, after Mr. Priddy had obtained the advice and suggestions of the leading authorities on Y. M. C. A. work in this country. At the time the design was considered a model for a college Y. M. C. A. Building. In the spring of 1900, with appropriate and imposing ceremonies, the cornerstone was laid in the presence of a large body of interested spectators. The speakers on this occasion were Dr. R. S. McArthur, the noted divine of New York; Dr. J. M. McBryde, the President of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute; and Mr. Lawrence Priddy, of New York, whom Dr. McArthur characterized as "the most consistent, persistent, and insistent beggar I have ever seen." The building was pushed to rapid completion by Mr. Wesley Gray, the contractor, being built of native limestone [known today as Hokie Stone] and trimmed with sandstone brought from Ohio. With the exception of the trimming, all the building material came from the State of Virginia." (Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute, October 1913, Volume VI, No. 4, pp. 44-46) The YMCA offices moved out in 1937, and the building was known as the Military Building until 1966 when it became the Student Personnel Building. It was named the Performing Arts Building in the 1973. The YMCA in 1972 deeded any interest it had in the building to Virginia Tech as part of the university’s centennial observances.
Power Plant -First plant completed February 1900; enlarged to three 100-horsepower boilers, three steam engines, and two dynamos by 1903. More equipment added 1905. One 180 kw electric generator added and two 300-horsepower engines replaced old steam engines 1909. Located on site of present day Thomas Hall. Plant relocated and remodeled 1918-22. New brick stack built and new boilers installed at new location on Upper Quadrangle 1919. New engines, generators, and electric equipment installed 1920. Two motor-generator sets installed 1922. Two 250-horsepower boilers added 1924. One 250-horsepower boiler added 1927. Underground steam tunnels expanded to all campus buildings by 1928-29 academic year. Work began on current building, which was built in phases: l928 section cost $167,000; 1949 section cost $459,710; 1955 section cost $60,000; 1960 section, 5,547 sq. ft., cost $600,162; 1971 boiler plant cost $300,790; 1998 coal-fired boiler facility, 7,200 sq. ft., cost $10,744,800. One coal boiler modified 2007 and equipped with scrubber and baghouse. Current size: 35,371 sq. ft.
Presidents Home-See The Grove and Henderson.
Pritchard -Residence hall. Construction started 1965; completed 1967; 211,481 sq ft.; cost $3,262,240. Portion opened winter 1967; building not completed until fall 1967. Dedicated May 13, 1968. Named for Samuel R. Pritchard, professor and head of physics and electrical engineering 1893-35 and dean of engineering 1918-28.
Rainbow Ridge Home-See Hahn House.
Randolph-Academics and laboratories. West section completed 1952; 80,685 sq. ft.; cost $884,070. Dedicated Oct. 24, 1953. East section completed 1959; 85,233 sq. ft.; cost $889,944. Total area 165,918 sq. ft. Attached to building is six-foot stability wind tunnel, acquired from National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1958 and made a part of building in 1959; cost $900,000. Valued at $1 million at the time, the tunnel was acquired for about $1,700 as surplus equipment. Building named for Lingan S. Randolph, professor of mechanical engineering 1893-1918 and dean of engineering 1912-18.
Rasche-Residence hall. Includes old section (Barracks No. 2) and newer section built on site of First Academic Building. Barracks No. 2 completed 1894; cost of $13,467. Remodeled1957-58; cost of $148,291. Newer section completed 1957; cost of $552,973. Total area 62,491 sq. ft. Named for William H. “Bosco” Rasche, professor of mechanism and descriptive geometry 1895-1951.
Robeson -Academics and laboratories. Completed 1960; 66,138 sq. ft.; cost $992,385. Known as Physics Building until 1968 when renamed in honor of Frank L. Robeson, head of physics department 1923-54. Dedicated June 7, 1969. At one time, housed UTR-10 Argonaut-type reactor; dedicated Jan. 6, 1960; approval to raise power to 100,000 watts given in 1966.
Rock House-Also known as Administration Building and Alwood House. Native stone structure built as residence for Prof. J. A. Norton; later occupied by Prof. William B. Alwood. John Hart, professor, reportedly lived in the house during his one-year tenure as acting president of VAMC 1880-81. In 1889 the offices of the president, commandant, secretary, and treasurer were moved into the house, which was located in northern section of present-day Drillfield. Mostly destroyed by fire Feb. 2, 1900, destroying all records of the college, reports of faculty, minute books of board of visitors, and other materials. Offices moved to Faculty House number 3, residence of commandant of cadets. Rock House rebuilt to house administrative offices; occupied April 1904 -July 1936, when offices were moved to newly completed Teaching and Administration Building, later renamed Burruss Hall. Razed summer 1950 to make way for approaches to War Memorial, although stones were saved to be used in construction of memorial, which got under way in 1951.
Sandy -Academics. Completed May 1924; 12,343 sq. ft.; cost $50,602. Originally known as Agricultural Extension Building. Named for Thomas 0. Sandy, state demonstration agent 1907-17, Virginia’s first agricultural extension agent, and extension employee of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (today's Virginia Tech) 1914-17.
Saunders -Academics. Completed 1931; 31,043 sq. ft.; cost $150,000 Originally known as Dairy Husbandry Building. Named in 1949 for William D. Saunders, director of the Creamery 1896-1911, professor 1896-1908 and 1914-1922, and extension specialist 1920-45.
Science Hall (Barracks No. 7) -First occupied September 1901. Housed departments of general chemistry, geology, mineralogy, physics, and biology. Burned February 1905 at a loss of $125,000. Rebuilt and occupied October 1905. Remodeled 1927 into Barracks No. 7. Razed 1957 to make room for new section of Shanks Hall. Was a large brick building, three stories plus basement and attic. See Shanks.
Second Academic Building -Cornerstone for two-story 135 x 45-ft. brick building laid Aug. 12, 1875. First occupied May 1877. Cost $18,000. Housed college library 1877-1914 and various other departments from time to time. Demolished 1957 to make way for new section of Brodie Hall.
Security-See Old Security.
Seitz-Academic. Construction began 1937; completed 1940; 51,000 sq. ft.; cost $172,000. Originally known as Agricultural Engineering Hall. Named in 1956 in memory of Charles E. Seitz, professor and head of agricultural engineering 1914-54.
Shanks-Academic. Composed of an old section, originally known as Barracks No. 4, and newer section; situated on site of Science Hall (Barracks No. 7). Old section completed November 1902; cost approximately $18,000. Old section remodeled 1957-58; cost $142,567. Newer section completed fall 1958; cost $556,386. Total area 55,413 sq. ft. Housed 320 men until converted to house 302 women in fall 1970. Addition and renovation completed 2001; 8,762 sq. ft.; cost $7,896,495. Total area 64,175 sq. ft. Houses English and communication departments. Named for D. C. Shanks, commandant of cadets 1895-98. See Science Hall.
Shultz-Former dining hall. Completed 1962; 55,390 gross sq. ft.; cost $1,069,925. First used September 1962. Adorned on front by decorative aluminum seals crafted by Armento Architectural Arts, Buffalo, N. Y. Named in 1962 for John Henry Shultz, mess steward 1898-1912. Closed as a dining hall in May 2012 to become part of the Center for the Arts at Virginia Tech, scheduled to open in 2013.
Skelton Conference Center-Constructed 2003-05; 24,000 sq. ft.; complex (including The Inn at Virginia Tech and the Holtzman Alumni Center) cost $43,118,000 (The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center cost approximately $33 million of that figure). Opened July 10, 2005; dedicated Oct. 28, 2005. Named for William E. and Margaret G. Skelton. William Skelton ’40 was state 4-H agent, 1950-62; director/dean, Virginia Cooperative Extension, 1965-76; recipient of Ruffner Medal. Margaret Skelton was a faculty member and director, Cooperative Extension Family Resource Program in the College of Home Economics.
Slusher-Residence hall. Construction began fall 1971; completed 1974; 125,868 sq. ft.; cost $3,395,144. Three-story wing opened fall 1972; 12-story tower opened fall 1974. Dedicated May 3, 1974. Named in 1968 in memory of Clarice Slusher (Pritchard) ’27, registrar 1937-62.
Smith, Garnett E. and Patsy T., Career Center-Constructed 2004; 21,735 sq. ft.; cost $4.6 million. Dedicated Oct. 20, 2007. Occupied by Career Services. Named for Garnett E. and Patsy T. Smith. Garnet Smith, a native of Southwest Virginia, retired as CEO of Advance Auto Parts in 2000.
Smith House-Originally built in 1930 as a private residence on Turner Street. Acquired by university in 1969. Served various uses before it was razed in 2004.
Smyth-Academic. Constructed in two sections. First section completed 1939; 27,654 sq. ft.; cost $127,650. Two additions constructed 1950; 7,631 and 18,788 sq. ft.; cost 485,300. Total area 54,073 sq. ft. Originally known as Natural Science Building. Named in 1949 for Ellison Adger Smyth Jr., professor and founding head of Department of Biology 1891-1925 and first dean of the faculty 1902-06.
Solitude-Oldest structure on campus; Greek Revival architecture. Construction on oldest part of house believed to date to 1801; wing added c. 1834; house expanded to more than double the 1834 size in 1851 by Col. Robert Preston, who received the estate from his father, Virginia Governor James P. Preston. Robert Preston moved into the house after his marriage in 1833. About 250 acres, the house, and several farm buildings on the estate purchased by board of visitors in Oct. 1872 for $21,250, providing the college with its second building and farmland. Among its uses: faculty housing 1920s-40s, 1951-74; a student infirmary in late 1800s; a veteran’s club following World War II when trailers for veteran housing surrounded it 1946-1950; a clubhouse for Hokie Club activities; classroom and office space in 1974; and housing for Appalachian Studies 1988-90s. Then closed until funds could be raised for major renovations. General Assembly approved $50,000 for repairing termite damage, fixing the roof, rehabilitating interior, restoring outbuildings, and fixing drainage and water damage problems in 1998. Fundraising for more extensive restoration started in 2006. Placed on Virginia Landmarks Register in 1988; National Register of Historic Places in 1989. Outbuilding, constructed 1840s, may have been used as slave quarters. A log outbuilding sitting northeast of the main house is believed to have been constructed c. 1870 and to have originally served as a kitchen, based on artifacts found at the site. Prehistoric artifacts also recovered indicate that more than one group of Native Americans occupied the site roughly between 2000 BC and 1000 AD.
Southgate Center-Employee services. Constructed 1987; 57,795 sq. ft. Addition completed 2002; 24,732 sq. ft.; cost $2,925,000.
Special Purpose Housing-See Oak Lane Community.
Squires Hall-See Squires Student Center.
Squires Student Center-Student services. Original construction completed May 1937; 54,366 sq. ft.; cost $224,750. Addition completed 1970; 108,482 sq. ft.; cost $3.5 million. Addition completed 1991; 72,400 sq. ft.; cost $17 million. Total area 235,248 sq. ft. Originally known as Student Activities Building and then as Squires Hall; later called Student Union. Consists of an inner core (the original Squires Hall) and a surrounding building added later. Civilian students had their dining hall in building September 1937-September 1939. Original building closed 1966 for addition and renovation; construction began 1967. New building reopened 1969 but construction not completed until winter 1970; renamed Squires Student Center and dedicated May 12, 1970. Renovations and expansion commenced in 1988; completed 1991. Named in 1949 for John H. Squires 1905 in recognition of his donation of $10,000 toward the structure.
Sterrett Facility Complex-First construction 1958; 75,521 sq. ft.; Work on maintenance building started 1967; 55,000 sq. ft.; cost $564,000. Motor Pool added 1970; 4,998 gross sq. ft. Houses offices and shops of maintenance workers, carpenters, facility engineers, architects, and other support services. Named for William M. Sterrett Sr., director of buildings and grounds, who retired in 1981.
Stone Dormitory-See Campbell Hall.
Student Activities Building-See Squires Student Center.
Student Personnel Building-See Performing Arts Building.
Student Services Building-Student services. Completed January 2003; 36,385 sq. ft.; cost $6.755 million. Owned by Virginia Tech Foundation, which leases building to the university. Occupied by offices of bursar, registrar, and Hokie Passport.
Surge Space Building-Academic. Constructed 2007; 45,000 sq. ft.; cost $8.5 million. Used to temporarily house academic and/or administrative units whose regular facilities are undergoing renovation.
Swine Center-See Agricultural Engineering Building.
T. Marshall Hahn Jr.-See Hahn, T. Marshall Jr.
The Grove-President’s home. Completed 1902; 15,147 sq. ft. Name “The Grove” initially applied to trees surrounding the home. Built in Colonial Revival style. Initially called President’s Home, it was the second house (see Henderson) built on campus to house presidents. First inhabitant was President John M. McBryde, who lived there 1902-07. All presidents after McBryde lived there until 1971, when President T. Marshall Hahn Jr. constructed a private residence (see Rainbow Ridge House) off campus. Renovated 1989 to house Center for the Study of Public Choice and became known as Building 274. Other departments later used the facility. Remodeled 1987-88 to serve again as home for university presidents; cost $610,000. Renamed The Grove. James D. McComas, 13th president 1988-94, moved into it in 1988, becoming first inhabitant since Hahn (President William E. Lavery, Hahn’s successor, lived in Hahn house, which had been donated to the university). Renovated (including addition of new garage) in 2000; cost $580,000.
The Inn at Virginia Tech- Hotel. Constructed 2003-05; 88,746 sq. ft.; complex (including the Skelton Conference Center and the Holtzman Alumni Center) cost $43,118,000 (The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center cost approximately $33 million of that figure). Located on 25 acres of land (see Golf Course under Athletic Facilities). Among facilities are 147 guest rooms, 23,705 sq. ft. of meeting space, a restaurant, a lounge, and two private dining rooms. Opened July 10, 2005; dedicated Oct. 28, 2005. Operated by Hilton Hotels. Adjoins Skelton Conference Center and Holtzman Alumni Center. Complex total area 191,360 sq. ft. See Skelton Conference Center and Holtzman Alumni Center
Thomas-Residence hall. Constructed 1949; 37,775 sq. ft.; cost $427,185. First occupied fall 1949. Closed for renovation after fall 1969; reopened fall 1970. Named in 1949 for Sgt. Herbert J. Thomas ‘41, one of three World War II alumni Medal of Honor recipients (posthumous).
Torgersen-Research and academic. Virtual groundbreaking ceremony held September 1996. Construction completed summer 2000; 149,651 sq. ft.; cost $26,948,800. Dedicated 2000. Called Advanced Communications and Information Technology Center (ACITC) in proposal and during construction. Includes 30 miles of fiber-optic cable and 75 miles of copper cable. Joins Newman Library via an enclosed bridge across Alumni Mall. Named in 2000 for Paul E. Torgersen, head of industrial engineering 1967-70, dean of engineering 1970-90, president of the Corporate Research Center 1990-94, and 14th president 1994-2000.
University Bookstore-Construction started 1972; opened Sept. 25, 1975, while stonework still under way; 40,054 sq. ft. Addition completed 1984, 475 sq. ft. Total area 40,529; cost $1.4 million. Financing came from sale of state revenue bonds. Previous bookstore had been located in basement of Owens Hall.
University Club-A faculty group organized the club in 1925 and constructed a clubhouse on land leased by the university. Construction completed 1930; 8,763-sq-ft.; cost $38,000. During one period, it contained a dining room, which ceased operations in September 1935 when Faculty Center (see Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown) dining room opened.
Vawter-Residence hall. Constructed 1962; 58,852 sq ft.; cost $1,000,872. First occupied fall 1962; dedicated May 16, 1966. Named in 1962 for Charles Erastus Vawter, member of board of visitors 1886-1900 and rector of the board 1891-1900.
Veterinary Medicine Phase 1-Academic. Constructed 1981; 35,960 sq. ft.; cost $1 million.
Veterinary Medicine Phase 2-Academic. Constructed 1983; 70,790 sq. ft.; cost $8 million.
Veterinary Medicine Phase 3-Academic. Completed 1987; 66,640 sq. ft.; cost $8 million.
Veterinary Medicine Phase 4-Academic. Included six discrete projects that total 64,912 sq. ft.; cost $9.4 million. Officially occupied in 1995.
Visitor Information Center-Originally the Nester house, constructed in 1942; 1,993 sq. ft., located on another site and moved to current site. Renovated 1989 for use as a visitor center and parking services offices; opened 1990. Renovated 2001 after parking services vacated the facility. First floor serves as Visitor Information Center; second floor provides offices for Licensing and Trademarks Administration, both part of University Relations. Construction commenced in 2010 on a new Visitor and Undergraduate Admissions Center near the Inn at Virginia Tech.
Wallace-Academic, administration for College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences. Construction 1966-68; 49,256 gross sq. ft.; cost $1.25 million. Basement and first two stories occupied January 1969. Dedicated Oct. 24, 1968. Construction on additional stories 1990-92; 53,907 sq. ft.; cost of $7.6 million. Total area 103,163 sq. ft. Rededicated Sept. 25, 1992. Named for Maude E. Wallace, state home demonstration agent 1929-38 and assistant director of extension 1938-59.
Wallace Annex- Building 301. Completed 1914. Cost $11,418; extensively renovated in 1959 at cost of $7,162; 4,125 sq. ft. Previously known as Home Management House.
War Memorial and Chapel-Constructed spring 1951-spring 60; 6,234-sq-ft.; cost $477,335 (chapel and memorial). Dedicated May 29, 1960. Designed by Roy F. Larson of Harbeson, Hough, Livingston & Larson in Philadelphia. Upper level contains Memorial Court with eight sculptured Indiana limestone pylons representing, from left to right, Brotherhood, Honor, Leadership, Sacrifice, Service, Loyalty, Duty, and Ut Prosim (the university motto: “That I May Serve”). Although memorial initially was intended to honor only those Techmen killed in World War II, the names of alumni who have died in military conflicts beginning with World War I are now carved on the pylons. Four left pylons designed by Henry Kries; four right pylons designed by Charles Rudy. Centered at back of Memorial Court is a cenotaph, which contains names of the seven alumni awarded the Medal of Honor. Lower level of memorial contains a 350-seat chapel, which includes a chancel sculpture symbolizing humankind’s relationship to the creator with a central group implying that something greater than humans is responsible for their presence on Earth. Left figure represents this relationship in daily life; right figure suggests humans in communion with their creator. Chancel sculpture designed by Donald DeLue. A 772-pipe organ installed in chapel August 1962; cost $17,600. Pipes made in Holland; pipes range from a few inches to 16 feet in length. War Memorial and Chapel renovated 2000-01; rededicated Sept. 8, 2001.
War Memorial Gymnasium-See under Athletic Facilities.
West Ambler Johnston-See Ambler Johnston.
West Campbell-See Campbell.
West End Market-See Cochrane.
West Stone Dormitory-See Campbell.
Whittemore-Academic. First three floors completed summer 1971; 78,460 sq. ft.; cost $2,543,635. Three additional stories completed 1985; 76,845 sq. ft.; cost $7 million. Dedicated Oct. 4, 1972. Additional room added 1992; 34 sq. ft. Total area 155,339 sq. ft. Named in 1968 for John W. Whittemore, faculty member 1928-63 and dean of engineering 1952-63.
Williams-Academic. Completed July 1953; 46,848 sq. ft.; cost $611,514. Dedicated Oct. 24, 1953. Originally called Academic Science Building. Renovated 2003; cost $4,700,519, for use by psychology department. Named for John E. Williams, professor of mathematics and dean of the college 1923- 43.
YMCA Building-See Performing Arts Building.