Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Price (Agricultural) Hall

   

New Agricultural Hall, 1908 New Agricultural Hall, 1908

Early in January, 1907, the new Agricultural Hall was completed and ready for occupancy. Located at the foot of the ridge running east of the President's house just opposite the site of the Creamery, it is a splendid structure of native limestone with Kentucky sandstone trimmings, 170 feet long, 70 feet wide, and 5 stories high. It contains nine spacious lecture rooms, several reading rooms, a library, laboratories for instruction and research in Agronomy, Horticulture, Veterinary Science, Mycology, Bacteriology, and Soil Physics, and the offices of the Experiment Station, of the Dean and Director, and of the Heads of Divisions. Its floor space totals 55,000 feet. The entire basement, excepting one room which serves as a fire-proof vault for filing the Station records and bulletins, is fitted up for the installation of a creamery and dairy plant of the most modern and approved type. In the rear of the Agricultural Hall are situated five large and well-equipped greenhouses, in which winter agricultural and horticultural experimentation of extensive scope may be carried on; a heating and power plant, which furnishes heat to the Agricultural Hall and green-houses and power for the creamery and cold storage plant; and a veterinary infirmary, which is furnished with large, roomy stalls, hot and cold foot-baths, and other modern improvements. Bulletins of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (State Agricultural and Mechanical College), Alumni Number January, 1908, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 38-39.

The building, which cost $20,948 to construct, came to be known as “Old Aggie.” In 1949, it was named for Harvey Lee Price, dean of agriculture 1908-45.