Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Faculty

At the third meeting of the VAMC Board of Visitors on Aug. 14, 1872, the board appointed a faculty of three—Charles Martin to teach English language and literature and ancient language; Gen. James H. Lane to teach natural philosophy, chemistry, and military tactics; and Gray Carroll to offer instruction in mathematics and modern language. The board postponed the appointment of any teachers of agriculture or mechanics. Today, the number of full-time instructional faculty approaches nearly 1,400 men and women.