Charles Landon Carter Minor- First president, 1872-79. Born Dec. 3, 1835, at Edgewood in Hanover County, Va. Received M.A. from University of Virginia (UVa), 1858. Taught at Virginia Female Institute in Staunton, Va., and in LeRoy Broun’s School in Albemarle County, Va. Married Fanny Ansley (or Annsley) Cazenove of Alexandria, Va., in 1860; had three children (son died in infancy). During Civil War, enlisted as a private in First Rockbridge Artillery and soon transferred to Company K, Second Virginia Cavalry. Promoted to captain on Aug. 1, 1864, and served as captain of ordnance. Assigned duty as chief ordnance officer of Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. By end of Civil War, was serving as executive officer at Richmond (Virginia) Arsenal. President of Maryland Agricultural College (now University of Maryland), 1867-68. Ran private school in Lynchburg, Va. Became professor of Latin and director of preparatory school, University of the South, in Sewanee, Tenn., the post from which he was selected as first president of Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College (VAMC) in 1872 at age 36. Received an L.L.D. from College of William & Mary in 1874. Was removed from VAMC presidency in 1879. Purchased Shenandoah Valley Academy in Winchester, Va., and served as principal. Later taught at St. Paul’s in Baltimore, Md., and Episcopal Boys School in Alexandria, Va., where he was also associate principal. Wrote The Real Lincoln, which he published in 1901. Completed a second, expanded edition during last year of his life that was published posthumously (1904). Died July 13, 1903, in Albemarle County, Va., at age 67.
John Lee Buchanan- Second president, 1880 and 1881-82 (his two separate terms are counted as one). Born June 19, 1831, in Rich Valley, Smyth County, Va. Received an A.B. with highest honors in 1856 from Emory and Henry College. Taught ancient languages at Emory and Henry; was elected a professor and received his M.A. from the college in 1858. Married Frances Elizabeth Wiley on Aug. 4, 1859; had nine children. Worked in ordnance department of the Confederacy. Resumed teaching at Emory and Henry after Civil War. Latin chair in 1879 at Vanderbilt University and then president of Emory and Henry College, 1879-80, before assuming office as VAMC president about March 1, 1880, at age 48. Removed from presidency June 12, 1880. Offered job again soon thereafter but declined. Offered job again in May 1881; accepted and assumed office Aug. 14, 1881, at age 50. Removed from VAMC presidency for second time Jan. 17, 1882. Began teaching at Martha Washington College in Abingdon, Va., later becoming president there. In 1884 served on a state committee that established the State Normal Female School (now Longwood College) in Farmville, Va. Served as state superintendent of public instruction 1885‑89 (hence was ex officio member of VAMC Board of Visitors). Began teaching at Randolph-Macon College in 1889, later becoming president. Resigned presidency there in 1894 to assume presidency of Arkansas Industrial University (changed to University of Arkansas in 1899), where he remained until retiring in 1902. Died Jan. 19, 1922, in Rich Valley, Va., at age 90; buried in Fayetteville, Ark. First residence hall at University of Arkansas named in his honor; after it was razed, he was memorialized in Buchanan-Droke Residence Hall.
Scott Shipp- 1880 (his term was so short that it is not counted). Born Aug. 2, 1839, in Warrenton, Va. (added second “p” to last name in 1888). Entered Westminster College in Fulton, Mo., in 1852. Worked as rodman and assistant engineer on North Missouri Railroad, 1855-56. Matriculated to VMI in 1856, graduating fourth in his class on July 4, 1859; received a law degree in 1866 and later an honorary LL.D. from Washington and Lee. Appointed commandant of cadets at VMI on Jan. 1, 1862. As commandant, led the cadets in Battle of New Market during Civil War, May 15, 1864. Married Anne Alexander of Richmond on Aug. 19, 1869; had three children. Was still commandant when he accepted presidency of VAMC on Aug. 12, 1880, at age 41. Resigned 13 days later, immediately after meeting with executive committee of board of visitors and learning that the board and not the college administration would handle details of college’s organization. Returned to VMI as commandant and professor of tactics until named VMI’s second superintendent in 1890. While superintendent, served on boards of United States Military Academy and United States Naval Academy; was president of the naval academy board. Retired as VMI superintendent on June 30, 1907, and was named superintendent emeritus. Died Dec. 4, 1917, at his home in Lexington, Va., at age 78.
Thomas Nelson Conrad- Third president, 1882-86. Born Aug. 1, 1837, in Fairfax Courthouse, Va. Received A.B. (bachelor’s degree) in 1857 and A.M. (master’s degree) in 1860 from Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa. Taught at and was principal of Georgetown (D.C.) Academy. A lay minister, he joined Third Virginia Cavalry in 1861 as a chaplain. Three years later, became Confederate scout and then a spy with the Confederate Secret Service. Planned to kidnap President Lincoln to exchange him for Confederate prisoners of war; later abandoned plan as impractical. Briefly incarcerated after Lincoln’s assassination, one of four times he was incarcerated during the war; he escaped twice. Eventually attained rank of captain. Received personal letter of appreciation from Confederate President Jefferson Davis in May 1864 for his intelligence work. Married Emma S. Ball of King George County, Va., on Oct. 4, 1866; had seven children, one of whom died in childhood. Taught at Upperville (Virginia) Academy, 1866-68, and Rockville (Maryland) Academy, 1869-71, before moving to Blacksburg, Va., to serve as principal of Preston and Olin Institute, 1871-72. Took active part in getting VAMC located in Blacksburg and unsuccessfully sought its presidency. Served as editor of The Montgomery Messenger. Served as reading clerk in House of Delegates. Appointed adjunct professor to head new VAMC Preparatory Department in 1877; became professor of English in 1879; elected president in 1882 at age 45. Served as mayor of Blacksburg for three months in 1882 and one month in 1887. Removed from VAMC presidency July 1, 1886, and became professor of agriculture and chairman of the faculty at Maryland Agricultural College (now University of Maryland). Began working in 1890 as statistician for U.S. Census Bureau in Washington, D.C. Published two memoirs about his Civil War experiences: A Confederate Spy: A Story of the Civil War (ghostwritten), published in 1892, and a revised edition entitled The Rebel Scout: A Thrilling History of Scouting Life in the Southern Army, published in 1904. Died Jan. 5, 1905, in Washington, D.C., at age 67. Buried in Westview Cemetery in Blacksburg, Va. Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets honored him in 1972 by naming its new equestrian military team Conrad’s Troopers and later Conrad Cavalry.
Lunsford Lindsay Lomax- Fourth president, 1886-91. Born Nov. 4, 1835, in Newport, R.I. Received B.S. from U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y., in 1856 and promoted to brevet lieutenant in Second Cavalry, serving in Kansas-Nebraska region. Promoted to second lieutenant of First Cavalry in 1856 and first lieutenant in 1861. Resigned commission on April 25, 1861, to serve with the Confederacy; commissioned as a captain in Virginia State Forces and made adjutant-general for Gen. Joseph E. Johnston. Later left Johnston’s staff and served on staffs of Gen. Benjamin McCulloch and Gen. Earl Van Dorn in the western theater, beginning as inspector general and advancing to lieutenant colonial. Transferred back to eastern theater and commissioned a colonel of 11th Virginia Cavalry; inspector-general of the army of East Tennessee in 1862; led 11th Virginia Cavalry at Battle of Gettysburg. On recommendation of Gen. Robert E. Lee, promoted on July 23, 1863, to brigadier general of Fifth, Sixth, and Fifteenth Virginia regiments and First Maryland cavalry following Battle of Gettysburg. Promoted to major general on Aug. 10, 1864, and fought in Valley campaign in Virginia. Captured in September 1864 but escaped. Promoted on March 29, 1865, to commander of Valley District of the Department of Northern Virginia. Joined army in North Carolina before surrendering at Greensboro in May 1865. Married Elizabeth Winter Payne of Fauquier County, Va., on Feb. 20, 1873; had two daughters. Farmed in Caroline and Fauquier counties, Va., for more than 20 years until appointment in 1886 as VAMC president; assumed office on July 1, 1886, at age 50. Resigned in 1891. Worked six years in Washington, D.C., as clerk in War Department, compiling records of northern and southern armies used in The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Became a commissioner of Gettysburg National Park in 1905. One of final surviving Confederate major generals, he died May 28, 1913, in Washington, D.C., at age 77; buried in Warrenton, Fauquier County, Va.
John McLaren McBryde- Fifth president, 1891-1907. Born Jan. 1, 1841, in Abbeville, S.C. Entered sophomore class at South Carolina College in 1858 at age17. Matriculated at University of Virginia in 1860. Returned to Abbeville in January 1861 and joined First South Carolina Volunteer Infantry, later fighting with First South Carolina Cavalry. Volunteered for service in Virginia. Served in cavalry; contracted typhus, which ended his military life. Worked for Confederate States’ Treasury Department in Richmond, Va.; then assigned to War Tax Office; later was made a division chief. Married Cora Bolton of Richmond, Va., on Nov. 18, 1863; had eight children. At close of war, farmed in Buckingham County, Va., until 1867, when he moved to 1,000-acre farm in Albemarle County. Took active part in organizing a Farmers’ Club. Published many scientific articles, leading to 1879 appointment as professor of agriculture and botany at University of Tennessee (UT). Was offered and accepted a chair at reorganized South Carolina College in 1882. Two days after his arrival, was elected chair of the faculty (1882-83). President of South Carolina College, 1883-91. Received an honorary doctor of laws from Southern Presbyterian University in 1883. Declined offers to direct Texas Experiment Station in 1886 and to become president of UT in 1887. Received doctor of philosophy from UT in 1887. Raised standards at South Carolina College, which became a university in 1887. Accepted offer in 1891 to become president of VAMC at age 50. Declined 1893 offer to become assistant secretary of agriculture under President Cleveland; also declined offers to become president of University of Virginia,and president of Sweet Briar Institute. Retired in Blacksburg in 1907 and devoted time to research and writing botanical articles. In 1907 named first president emeritus of VPI and received VPI’s first honorary degree, a doctor of science. Was a Fellow of the American Geographical Society and of the American Statistical Association. Died at age 82 on March 20, 1923, while visiting son in New Orleans, La. Two buildings on Virginia Tech campus named for him, the first McBryde Mechanical Arts Building, constructed in 1917 and razed in 1966, and current McBryde Hall, dedicated in 1972. McBryde Quadrangle, a fraternity-housing complex at University of South Carolina, honors his service there.
Paul Brandon Barringer- Sixth president, 1907-13. Born Feb. 13, 1857, in Concord, N.C., son of Confederate Gen. Rufus Barringer and grandson of Gen. Paul B. Barringer, leader in War of 1812. Early education at Bingham School near Asheville, N.C., and at Kenmore University School, Amherst Courthouse, Va. Enrolled at University of Virginia in 1875, receiving M.D. in 1877. Also received M.D. from University of the City of New York in 1877. Practiced medicine at Dallas, N.C., for three years before going to Europe to study under medical specialists there. On return from Europe, settled on a farm near Charlotte, N.C., practicing medicine and farming. Married Nannie Irene Hannah of Charlotte County, Va., on Dec. 27, 1882; had 10 children. Established and headed medical preparatory school at Davidson College, 1884-89. Accepted chair of physiology at University of Virginia in 1889; was chairman of the faculty, 1895-1903, and professor of therapeutics and pharmacology, 1903-1907. Oversaw major revision of medical curriculum; main driving force behind construction and staffing of first UVa Hospital. Named superintendent of first UVa Hospital, 1901. Received honorary LL.D. from Davidson College in 1900 and University of South Carolina in 1904. Accepted presidency of VPI in 1907 at age 50. Resigned presidency in 1913 and returned to Charlottesville, where he practiced medicine except for a few years in military service during World War I. Died Jan. 9, 1941, in Charlottesville at age 83. Barringer Residence Hall, dedicated in 1966, memorializes him. Read an expanded biography, written in 1908 after he accepted the position.
Joseph Dupuy Eggleston- Seventh president, 1913-19. Born Nov. 13, 1867, in Prince Edward County, Va. Attended Prince Edward Academy and Hampden-Sydney College, where he received A.B. in 1886 and later the A.M. degree. Married Julia Johnson of Farmville, Va. on Dec. 18, 1895; had two children. Taught in public schools in Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina 1886-89. Taught in Asheville, N.C., high school, 1891-93; superintendent of public schools there, 1893-1900. Editor and secretary of Bureau of Information and Publicity of Southern Education Board at University of Tennessee, 1902. Superintendent of Prince Edward County, Va., public schools, 1903-05; first elected Virginia state superintendent of public instruction, 1906-13. Instituted agricultural extension in Virginia with first Virginia demonstration farms set up in 1907. Spurred establishment of an agricultural high school in each congressional district in Virginia. Was chief of Division of Rural Education, U.S. Bureau of Education, Jan. 1-July 1, 1913, when he became VPI president at age 45. Resigned presidency in 1919. President of Hampden-Sydney College, 1919-39. Conducted historical research until his death on March 13, 1953, in Prince Edward County, Va., at age 85. Eggleston Hall honors his memory.
Julian Ashby Burruss- Eighth president, 1919-45. Born Aug. 16, 1876, in Richmond, Va. After graduating from high school, worked for Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad while attending Virginia Mechanics Institute, a night school in Richmond. Entered VAMC in fall 1894 and received B.S. in civil engineering with honors in 1898. As a student, was editor of 1898 Bugle, captain of Battery E, and active in other student organizations. Received diplomas in physics, French, and German from Richmond College in 1898-99. Also studied for several summers at Harvard University. Received A.M. degree in education from Columbia in 1906. Studied industrial education at Teachers College in New York City; earned master’s degree. Married Rachel Cleveland Ebbert of Covington, Ky., on June 18, 1907; had two children. Served as president of Virginia Association of Colleges and Schools for Girls and of Virginia State Teachers Association; was director in Southern Educational Association. Obtained Ph.D. from University of Chicago in 1921. Received honorary LL.D. from Hampden-Sydney College in 1937. First educational post was instructor and commandant of cadets at Reinhardt Normal College, Waleska, Ga., 1899-1900. Also instructed at Searcy (Arkansas) Female Institute and Speers-Langford Military Academy, also in Searcy, Ark., before returning to Richmond as principal of Leigh Public School, 1901-04. Director of manual arts for Richmond public schools, 1904-08. Turned down offer to become president of Rochester Mechanics Institute in Rochester, N.Y., to become first president of State Normal and Industrial School (now James Madison University) in Harrisonburg, Va., in 1908 and laid out grounds there. Was president until 1919, when he was elected VPI president at age 43. Burruss Hall named for him in 1944 in honor of his 25th year as president. Named president emeritus upon retirement in 1945. Died Jan. 4, 1947, in Staunton, Va., at age 70. James Madison University also named a Burruss Hall for him. Read an expanded biography, written in 1919 after he accepted the position.
John Redd Hutcheson- Ninth president, 1945-47. Born Jan. 13, 1886, near Charlotte Court House, Va. Received B.S. from VPI in 1909, honorary D.Sci. from Clemson College (now Clemson University) in 1937, and honorary D.Agric. from North Carolina State College in 1947. Married Eleanor Parrott of Blacksburg, Va., in 1917; had three children. Attended field artillery officer training school during World War I. Was director of VPI Agricultural Extension Service, 1919-45, when he was made executive assistant to President Burruss (Jan. 4, 1945) and soon thereafter acting president (Jan. 12, 1945). Was elected VPI president on Aug. 14, 1945, at age 59. When illness forced his retirement as president in 1947, he became first VPI chancellor, a post in which he served until retiring in 1956. Was elected first president of VPI Educational Foundation Inc. in 1948. Served in that position until his death in Blacksburg on Jan.13, 1962, at age 76. Hutcheson Hall named for both him and his brother, T. B. Hutcheson, dean of agriculture.
Walter Stephenson Newman- Tenth president, 1947-62. Born July 20, 1895, in Woodstock Va. Attended Shenandoah County schools. Received A.B. at Hampden-Sydney College, 1917; M.S., VPI, 1919; Ph.D., Pennsylvania State College, 1931; and honorary LL.D. from both Roanoke College, 1949, and Hampden-Sydney College, 1959. Married Liz Otey Hoge of Blacksburg, Va., June 23, 1920; had one son. Was vocational agriculture teacher in Windsor, Va., 1912-22; associate professor of vocational education at VPI, 1922-25; state superintendent of vocational education, 1925-30 and 1931-42; assistant state superintendent of public instruction, 1942‑46; state administrator of National Youth Administration, 1936-42; one of founders of Future Farmers of Virginia (evolved into Future Farmers of America) in 1926. Named VPI’s first vice president in 1946. Elected president Sept. 1, 1947, at age 52. Retired June 30, 1962, and elected president emeritus and honorary member of class of 1962. Elected president of National Bank of Blacksburg in 1967. Received Virginia Tech’s Ruffner Medal in 1977, first year it was presented; one of the two first recipients. Lived in Blacksburg until his death on June 29, 1978, at age 82. Newman Residence Hall named for him.
Thomas Marshall Hahn Jr.- Eleventh president, 1962-1974. Born Dec. 2, 1926, in Lexington, Ky. Attended Lexington public schools. Received B.S. in physics “with highest honors” from University of Kentucky (UK) in 1945 at age 18 and Ph.D. in physics from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1950. Married Margaret Louise “Peggy” Lee of Dinwiddie County, Va., on Dec. 27, 1948; had three children. Was lecturer in physics at U.S. Naval Academy Preparatory School while serving in Navy. Was also physicist, Naval Ordnance Laboratory, 1946-47; teaching fellow, MIT, 1947-48; research assistant, MIT, 1948-50; associate professor of physics, UK, 1950-52; professor, director of graduate study in physics, and director of nuclear accelerator laboratories at UK, 1952‑54; professor and head of physics, VPI, 1954-59; dean of arts and sciences, Kansas State University, 1959-62. Served as president, Southern Association of State Universities; member, Governor’s Commission on the Status of Women; chairman, Virginia Metropolitan Areas Study Commission. Named “Virginia’s Outstanding Citizen” in 1965 by Toastmaster’s International. Assumed presidency of VPI on July 1, 1962, at age 35, the youngest president in Virginia Tech history. Resigned in 1974 to become executive vice president of Georgia-Pacific Corp. pulp, paper, and chemicals division; elected president of Georgia-Pacific in 1976; elected chief operating officer in 1982 and chief executive officer in 1983. Named president emeritus of Virginia Tech in 1975; received honorary doctor of science degree from Tech in 1987. Retired from Georgia-Pacific, Dec. 31, 1994. New chemistry laboratory building on campus named for him, 1991; renamed Hahn Hall-South Wing in 2009 when new chemistry/physics building named Hahn Hall-West Wing. Resides in Montgomery County, Va.
William Edward Lavery- Twelfth president, 1975-87. Born Nov. 20, 1930, in Geneseo, N.Y.. Received associate degree, State University of New York-Morrisville, 1950; bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University, 1953; master’s in public administration, George Washington University, 1959; doctorate in extension administration, University of Wisconsin, 1962; honorary doctorate, Xavier University (the Philippines), 1985. Married Peggy Johnson of Pawnee City, Neb., on April 7, 1956; had four children. Taught and coached at Clarence Central High School in Clarence, N.Y., 1953-54. Served in U.S. Army, 1954-56. Joined federal Extension Service’s Division of Management Operations in 1956; assistant to the administrator, 1964-66. Joined Virginia Tech staff in 1966 as director of administration for Extension Division. Served as vice president for finance, 1968-73; executive vice president, 1973-75. Named president in fall 1974; assumed office Jan. 1, 1975 at age of 44; inaugurated Oct. 16, 1975. Received Brotherhood Award from National Conference of Christians and Jews, 1979. Appointed by Governor of Virginia to Commission on Virginia’s Transportation in the 21st Century, 1986. Appointed by President Ronald Reagan as chair of Board for International Food and Agricultural Development, 1986. Appointed by U.S. Secretary of the Treasury to National Savings Bond Committee, where he chaired the Higher Education Industry Campaign, 1987. Resigned as president of Virginia Tech Oct. 16, 1987, effective Dec. 31, 1987. Appointed honorary chancellor and named Preston Professor of International Affairs, effective Jan. 1, 1988. Appointed president emeritus upon retirement, Aug. 1, 1991. Preston Professorship renamed William E. Lavery Professor of International Affairs, Aug. 19, 1991. Named honorary alumnus of Virginia Tech, 1992. Presented Ruffner Medal, 1993. Animal health research center named in his honor, 1995. Class of 1997 named class ring in his honor. Lived in Blacksburg, Va., until his death on Feb. 16, 2009, at age 78.
James Douglas McComas- Thirteenth president, 1988-94. Born Dec. 23, 1928, in Pritchard, W.Va. Received bachelor’s degree at West Virginia University, 1951; master’s in 1960 and Ph. D. in education in 1962, both from Ohio State University. Married Adele Stoltz of Gouverneur, N. Y., on May 10, 1961; had two children. Worked as head of Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, New Mexico State University, 1966-67; dean, College of Education, Kansas State University, 1967-69; dean, College of Education, University of Tennessee, 1969-76. President, Mississippi State University, 1976-85; president, University of Toledo, 1985-88. Named president of Virginia Tech, May 23, 1988, effective Sept. 1, 1988, at age 59. Installed as president, Dec. 3, 1988. Mississippi State named new creative arts building in his honor, 1991. Named chairman of the board, National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, Nov. 1992. Appointed to Commission on Leadership Development of the American Council on Education, Jan. 1993. Announced resignation for health reasons Sept. 28, 1993, effective Jan. 1, 1994. Died Feb. 10, 1994, in Columbus, Ohio, at age 65. Ruffner Medal presented posthumously, Founders Day 1994. McComas Hall named in his memory in 1998.
Paul Ernest Torgersen- Forteenth president, 1994-2000. Born Oct. 13, 1931, in Staten Island, N.Y. Received B.S. in industrial engineering from LeHigh University in 1953, M.S. in industrial engineering from Ohio State University in 1956, and Ph.D. from Ohio State University in 1959. Served in U.S. Air Force, 1953-55. Married Dorothea Zuschlag from New Jersey on Sept. 11, 1954; had three children. Worked as instructor at Ohio State University, 1956-59; assistant and associate professor at Oklahoma State University, 1959-66; received Outstanding Teacher Award for Oklahoma State’s College of Engineering, 1963. Registered in Oklahoma as Professional Engineer. Professor and department head, Virginia Tech’s Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research,1967-70; dean, College of Engineering, 1970-90; John Grado Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, 1987-89. Chaired national Engineering Deans’ Council, 1979-81. Appointed to Governor of Virginia’s Task Force on Science and Technology, 1982-84. Elected to National Academy of Engineering, 1986; served on governing board, 2000-06. Served on National Research Council, Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, 1988-94. Interim university president, Jan.-Aug., 1988; John W. Hancock Jr. Chair of Engineering, 1989-present; president, Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center, 1990-94; interim vice president for Development and University Relations, 1992-93; interim dean, College of Engineering, Aug.-Sept., 1993; acting university president, Oct.-Dec., 1993. Received honorary doctor of engineering from Lehigh University, 1994. Named a Fellow of American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE) and received ASEE Lamme Medal, 1994. Served as a board director for Virginia Center for Innovative Technology, 1995-2000. Was a board director and chaired the board for Virginia Space Grant Consortium, 1996-2000. Named a Fellow of Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) and received Frank and Lillian Gilbreth Award, 2001. Served on Governor’s Commission on Higher Education Board Appointments, 2002-10. Authored or co-authored five books, including co-authorship of Industrial Operations Research, which received IIE’s 1973 H.B. Maynard Book of the Year Award. Named Virginia's Engineering Educator of the Year, 1992. Elected president of Virginia Tech Dec. 9, 1993, effective Jan. 1, 1994, at age 62. Taught a three-credit-hour course each semester during tenure as dean and as president; received Sporn Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1992. Retired from presidency on Jan. 6, 2000, and named president emeritus. Continues to teach as adjunct professor. Endowed scholarship named in his honor, 1999. Torgersen Hall and Bridge named in his honor in 2000. Resides in Blacksburg, Va.
Charles William Steger- Fifteenth president, 2000-current. Born June 16, 1947, in Richmond, Va. Received professional bachelor of architecture degree in 1970, master of architecture in 1971, and Ph.D. in environmental science and engineering in 1978, all from Virginia Tech. Married Janet Grey Baird from Richmond, Va., on Sept. 13, 1969; had two sons. Worked as project planner and then as manager of urban planning department for Wiley & Wilson, 1971-74. Visiting lecturer of urban design methodology at Virginia Tech, 1973-74; instructor of urban design, 1974-76; assistant professor and chair of graduate program in urban design, 1976-81; associate professor and interim dean of College of Architecture and Urban Studies, 1981; dean of the college, 1981-1993. Named a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects, 1990. Acting vice president for public service, 1990-93. Promoted to full professor, 1993. Vice president for development and university relations and vice president of the Virginia Tech Foundation, 1993-2000. Directed successful campaign that raised $337.4 million, exceeding $250 million goal. Received Distinguished Achievement Award of the Virginia Society of AIA in 1996. Received Outstanding Fund Raising Executive Award from First Virginia Chapter of National Society of Fund Raising Executives in 1999. Played principal role in establishing university’s Center for European Studies and Architecture in Riva San Vitale, Switzerland, 1994. Elected president Nov. 8, 1999, effective Jan. 7, 2000, at age 52. Served on executive committee of Governor’s Commission on Population Growth and Development; member of Hollins University Board of Trustees; president of Endowment Foundation for Western Virginia Foundation for the Arts and Sciences in Roanoke, Va.; director on Boswil Foundation in Zurich, Switzerland. Received 2009 Chief Executive Leadership Award from Council for the Advancement and Support of Education and 2010 Michael P. Malone International Leadership Award from Association of Public and Land-grant Universities.