Skip Menu

Return to Skip Menu

Main Content

Joseph A. Turner (1912-20)

At picturesque Hollins College, Virginia, Mr. Joseph Augustine Turner, the son of Joseph A. and Leila Virginia Turner, was born, June 21st, 1876. He is a grandson of the distinguished Dr. Charles L. Cocke, the founder of Hollins Institute, now known as Hollins College, one of the foremost institutions of learning in the South for young women.

Mr. Turner received his early education in the primary department of Hollins College, then attended Alleghany Institute in Roanoke for two years, and then spent two years in the academic department of Richmond College. He was a student at the University of Virginia for three sessions—1894-95, 1895-96, and 1896-97—busying himself principally with the academic branches. His fondness for athletics asserted itself and at Richmond College he played on both the football and baseball teams, and at the University he made the football team. At Richmond College he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity, and at the University a member of the "Tilka" Club.

After leaving the University, Mr. Turner taught at Alleghany Institute in Roanoke for the session 1897-98; his duties here were not confined to one subject, but he taught "a little of everything" and played football and baseball "on the side." He was assistant business manager at Hollins College, 1898 to 1900, business manager, 1900-1901, and has been general manager since 1901.

Mr. Turner is a member of the Baptist Church and of the State mission board of that denomination; he has been a member and director of the State Dairymen's Association and State Farmers' Institute since the organization of these bodies.

He was appointed by Governor Mann a member of the V. P. I. board of visitors in July, 1912. With the exception of Dr. William A. Harris, he is the youngest member of this board.

--------

This sketch was by Professor Richard H. Hudnall, professor of English, and was printed in the Bulletin of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- The State Agricultural and Mechanical College, Vol. 5, No. 4, October 1912, pg. 31.